Friday, October 16, 2009

Applied Economics...Pls. Read

As a graduate of Economics, I decided to pursue a masters in Economics, but in doing so I came up with a lot of choices: what concentration in Economics should I take up, stupid as I was or should I say crazy as I was, I choosed Masters of Science in Applied Economics not knowing what perils lies ahead the path that I had choosen. Of course I thought that life would be easy, I never really expected that it would turn out to be the other way around, it’s more like hell…as I succumb to lectures upon lectures on various theories and application of economic regression, mostly on sytematic, methodical, analytical application of economic regressions using mathematical and statistical computations (which are way out and definitely beyond my intellectual capabilities). But since I can’t waste my time, effort and money on low grades, I tried my best to work it out and face the five subjects that I have right now with flaming passion, tried to bend it like beckham. Though not really that good in mathematical computations, I strived hard to surmount from these obstacles and finally hurdle good grades which is the result of my hard work. Now I finally learn to love Applied Economics and had incorporate its theories into my personal being. I’ve used some of its concept in my work as a research analyst, credit analyst and marketing consultant and I was able to formulate sound economic decisions because of Applied Economics. Do you know why? Because Applied Economics focuses on the application of economic analysis to different emerging situation in both the private and public sector. It fosters quantitative studies, the result of which are of use in the practical field and thus helps bring economic theory nearer to reality. Contributions which makes use methods of mathematics, statistics and operations of research will be welcomed provided that the conclusions are factual and properly explained. As an area, applied economics is about the consideration of topics that are relevant to some group of Economic decision makers. Once an important and interesting question has been determined the study needs to contain a discussion of the relevant economic theory and some data analysis using appropriate econometric methods. One of its great assets, is that it is open to any applied area not just currently the fashionable mainstream topics. Applied Economics has been formulating solid empirical studies across an impressively broad range of issues. It fills a unique niche in the research field for the applied economist. Just perfect for someone who longs to be a famous econometrician just like the enigmatic Laureate In Economics the great Professor John Nash. At the end of the day, the blood, sweat, tears and folly that I have shed were not wasted after all, for the knowledge that I have gained in studying Applied Economic is something which I could definetely say unsurmountable,inspite of my personal or should I say academic torments,many great and happy things were returned.




P.S.

Just an Economic Joke!

Econometricians absolutely are mathematicans who are good in formulating quantitative and qualitative analysis but lacks the proper attitude to become engineers…what a thought! LOL, ROFL! hehehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment